Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, August 2, 2009


Well, I have finished the busiest part of my summer! My 5 week job at Pattison's camp is over and although I loved my work, I am very tired from it. It is a very physical job involving moving chidren from wheelchairs to standers to the floor to a bike, etc. The focus of camp is involving the children in as many activities as possible and providing effective Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy. Being the ST of the group, I target communication needs and co-treat with the OT for feeding. This summer I was excited to be able to program 2 Dynavox's for children that received them after I wrote up evaluations for them to get them after last summer. Took awhile to get them, but these can open up a whole new world for these 2children. BTW, a Dynavox is a $7000 communication device that is computerized and talks for the child. It is an awesome device and a lot of fun to work with!



Although it made my 5 weeks CRAZY (esp trying to juggle childcare, camps for Nathan, etc.; and a big thanks to all who helped), it was very worth it. I told my boss at camp that I might not be able to work the first week due to wanting to help with VBS at church. (Fortunately there was no conflict) She joked and asked which was more important, camp or God's work. My response was that I consider Pattison's God's work for me. It may not be Christian environment, but I do believe God called me to work there this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment