Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dave's new venture

Dave has started a new project that I totally support, although my role in it thus far is one of chef! He is interviewing the charter members of our church and then is going to compile their stories into a book of sorts. So far we have conducted 2 interviews, both following Sunday lunch at our house, thus the title of chef! I had fun planning the 2 menus, etc, but then thought that I could just make the same thing everytime and noone would know! Nathan was appalled to think that we would eat the same thing every Sunday! Of course if I said let's go to Nakato's every Sunday, I don't think he would complain!


Our first interview was with the McDaniel's; the door greeter at our church and his spitfire wife. It was neat to hear their stories and see them in a different light! I never knew that Mr. McDaniel was such a prankster! When the first pastor of CBC made the challenge that he would be tarred and feathered if the SS attendance reached a certain number, Mr. McDaniel started hiding feathers in all sorts of places for him to find! And Mrs. McDaniel had a Citadel cadet interested in her and this is what prompted Mr. M. to make his move!

The goal of this project is twofold: first to get a written history of our church before the charter members are no longer around. Dave had contacted one member to talk to and then she died a week later. And Mrs. Mc. is starting to have memory problems. Unfortunately they won't be around forever. Dave and I started attending CBC in 95 and when I look around at some of the people, I can see how they (and we) have aged. We don't want their stories to go with them and we as a church need to understand what they went through in starting our church. A small group of men and women were committed to the church that God had called them to begin. We need to know the history of our church to appreciate where we are now.

The second goal is to try to meet more older people. It seems that there is not much interaction between old and young at our church, and Dave was burdened about that during lay renewal. So this is the beginning of what we hope to do to bring generations together. We can't do it all, but we can do our part. And I get the challenge of seeing if I can make a different meal for every lunch we have at our house!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Can't wait to hear more stories from the founding members. And hope you can come up with a variety of Sunday lunches :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat ministry. We always see the McD's at the Chinese buffet on Sunday afternoon. They were probably glad for some variety...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea! And I love seeing Mr. Doug's smiling face again! One of the things I miss most about Charleston!!!!

    ReplyDelete