Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

More cooking tales

Although I have not been blogging much since April (due to computer problems), I have been keeping up with my cookbook...especially since I haven't had to do the grocery shopping myself!! 

In April, my favorite entree dish was a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin.  In fact, we have had a lot of pork tenderloin over the past several months.  This is still my favorite way to make it though, even if all the other recipes were yummy as well.  My favorite appetizer was a feta cheese truffle.  I even made it twice!  It was basically cream cheese, feta cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper mixed together.  Then rolled in parsley (was light on the parsley).  We also has some homemade pizzas and roasted fingerlings.  A pretty good month!

May was the meatloaf month!  Nathan says I should stick to my old recipe (hamburger meat, ketchup and bread crumbs), but we ventured into new ideas with meatloaf including using ground pork.  One downfall with doing things this way, is that they often will have sections in the cookbook that involve several new ways to make something, like meatloaf.  Thus several meat loafs this month!  This month was not a good as other months, however, we did have good mushroom and cheese ravioli and Caprese salad bites!


In June, there were lots of desserts that I had to try.  In fact, I am still working on making them all!  The best by far is a Chocolate-Key Lime Cupcake Pie.  It involves crumbling up chocolate cookies (I used chocolate graham crackers) and putting a key lime cheesecake filling on top of it.  They were awesome!!  Dave's favorite was a peach cobbler.  He loves cobbler, however, I have never been good at making it.  But this was a huge success!!  He said it was the best.  And I didn't totally follow the recipe because I used cinnamon instead of nutmeg.  We ate more pork tenderloin with a couple of different marinades and even had creamy black bean soup.  The soup was tasty, however, it was not too creamy...I didn't cook the beans long enough and they were crunchy!  Oh well, not everything can be a success!  And although the veggies and pasta were good, Dave kept looking for the meat in the meal!

And this year we are getting to eat lots of tomatoes!  Yeah for the tomato plants...now if only the cucumbers and zucchini will start producing!


No comments:

Post a Comment