Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Helpful hints from Amy

That sounds like a cheesy newspaper column!  But I did find 2 helpful hints lately...well the latest was actually from Dave.  Ever since we got our new tub, or maybe since I started buying body wash with coupons, we have had the worst problem with getting our tub clean.  It would take forever to clean, and there still seemed to be residue on the sides and dirt on the bottom between the ridges.  After trying all sorts of bathroom cleaners, I had finally thought I had found the solution with Pine-Sol and a scrub brush.  This made it look clean, however, it still felt grimy.   Today, though, we finally got a clean tub again.  Dave was saying that it always seemed to feel greasy, so he figured we needed a cleaner that cut grease...dish washing detergent!  So he got out the Dawn and scrubbed for a short time compared to usual and the results were a sparkling white tub! The best part of this tip is that Dave did the cleaning :)

The other tip has to do with deodorant; and I hope I am not jinxing myself by saying that I have found something that works. Some people know that I have been complaining about the way my deodorant has not been working in recent years. So far I do not think I have smelled bad, but I have felt wet. It also has started ruining my shirts. And not after wearing them for a full season even! It has been very frustrating. I had switched from my lifelong Secret and tried Degree, Lady Speed stick, and even a brand named Tussy. I had given up on all of these cheap brands and moved to the clinical strength Secret, but this still did not do the trick. Until I read a tip on one of those slide shows on the Comcast home page. It recommended putting the clinical strength deodorant on at night in order for it to soak in. In the morning I put on regular stuff and this combination has worked!!! And it has been working in the hot humid month of July! Like I said, I hope I didn't jinx it. Other solutions have been temporary in the past, but I hope that this one works for good! My shirt budget can't handle wet pits!!

2 comments:

  1. I just saw something on pinterest about cleaning tubs with Dawn. They also used vinegar and combined it with a 1-1 ratio with Dawn to clean their tub!

    Thanks for the idea about the deodorant - i will have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make deodorant. My friend does and it works for her...safer for you!

    I use liquid washing machine detergent to scrub the shower. It cuts through all that soap build-up SO easily! Good to know the Dawn works well!

    ReplyDelete