Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Monday, January 30, 2012

Expanding our palates!

This year I am trying to expand our palates and find some new recipes in the process! A few years back I took my Southern Living 2001 recipe book and cooked through the months. Not every single recipe, but most of them. From that experience we now have several recipes that our family really enjoys. So I am doing it again this year with my 2008 book. January has gone by pretty good. We had some good short ribs; some different macaroni and cheese recipes; several chicken dishes; some not so good roasted sweet potatoes; and our recipe for tonight...Peanut-Broccoli Stur-Fry! Nathan, who now has planned to go to culinary school, has been asking to have tofu. He saw it on Iron Chef and thought it looked good. I think it looks like a block of cream cheese. But we ventured into the vegetarian world tonight. This stir fry involved tofu! I have never even thought of wanting to eat tofu, even when Nathan asked for it. But it was tasty! I was impressed that it tasted just like going to a Thai restaurant. I will say this, however, the more I ate the stir fry, the less I wanted to eat the tofu. Maybe it was the thought of tofu, or not. But I would make it again; maybe with chicken though :)
Camden even ate the tofu that I called chicken for him
We didn't tell Dave what he was eating at first and he thought it was chicken. He said that he would have figured it out, but Nathan couldn't keep the secret for very long!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not big on tofu, but we've cooked with tofu a couple times since we have some vegetarian friends up here. I had no idea there were different textures of tofu. There's also some sort of meatless "sausage" my friend uses for her pizza. It tastes pretty good actually!

    ReplyDelete