Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, June 17, 2021

State # 10, the Moose Double, and the first half of the Grand Quad!

 


State #10 in my journey to run in all fifty states allowed me to go to one of the most beautiful places I have visited!  I signed up for the Grand Quad with Vacation Races.  This means I ran two 5Ks and two half marathons over one week.  The first weekend I finished half of the races and the Moose Double...meaning I ran the 5K and half in the Grand Tetons.  That got me 3 medals!

My vacation started by me flying into Salt Lake City, hopping in the rental car (well, that took  a minute!), and driving 4 and half hours to arrive at 4:55 for a 5:00 bib pickup and race at 6!  I at least had a person pick up my bib since I didn't know if I would get there in time!  

The drive seemed long because it was mainly on back roads....but it was a pretty ride!





The starting line and parking lot for the race had the view of the Tetons and was a great welcome to Wyoming!





All the runners got to sign the Grand Teton sign!


After getting up at 3:30 that morning, having a 5 hour plane ride and a 4 and a half hour drive, without much for lunch other than snack type foods, and arriving in 6000 feet elevation, that 5K was very hard!!  But it did allow me to get my legs stretched and ready for the half the next day!

The view during the 5K!

Finishing the first of my 4 races!

After the race, I checked into our hotel, The Hostel at Teton Village.  It was the most inexpensive and closest place I could find, but it was like staying at camp.  Not bad, but not the greatest place compared to normal hotels. But it was in a very cool place at the base of the Jackson Hole Ski Resort.  
Teton Village at sunset




I had to finally get some food and found a place where I was able to get a grilled cheese sandwich.  On the way back to the Hostel, I was startled by a moose crossing the street in front of my car.  Too startled to take a picture!  And the last moose I saw on the trip.  

The next morning was an early start to get to the race.  And then one of the most beautiful courses I have run!  For most of the course you could see the Tetons.  


The Snake River




Lots of cows in Jackson




Just couldn't get enough of those mountains!


Wouldn't it be cool to live on this property!


Baby cows were everywhere too!






And then at the end, after we couldn't see them for a time, we crossed the finish line with them right in front of us!!  Made the 13.1 miles worth it!!  





Between being tired and enjoying the view, no one wanted to leave this finish line!



I finished the Moose Double!!

I finished my 2nd race of the week! 

And this was my 10th half marathon state!

It was tricky getting to Wyoming in time for the 5k...Camden's 8th grade graduation was the night before and I had to fly into Salt Lake City in order to barely make it in time for the 5K, but it was so worth it!!  Now to have a great vacation before I run state number 11 in Montana!
















No comments:

Post a Comment