Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Friday, July 26, 2019

Sunday and seeing the statue


I woke up looking forward to our Sunday in Macas!  Not only were we going to get to attend Iglesia Cristiana Evangelica Columna de Verdad (Column of Truth Church), but we were going out to dinner that night near the statue!  Since we didn't get to hike to it the day before, I was happy to be able to see it when we went to dinner that night.  

But first, church service!  The first hour was a teaching hour, kind of like Sunday School, and they put slides up that really helped me figure out what they were teaching.  Between the slides and google translate, and Sarah's Spanish knowledge, I was able to follow the lesson.  The man taught about the doctrine of sin.  One quote I really liked was "lo que marca el caracter absoluto del peco do ed la santidad de dio"..."what mocks the absolute character of sin is the sanctity of God." 

The second hour was the preaching, but no slides!  I read my Bible most of the service as I was a little lost!  The youth all went to youth SS and they had a translator.  



Nathan and Alexia

After church, we ate lunch at the church before heading back to the house for a brief time before the VBS closing ceremony.  While at the house, I made eggplant parmesan with Dominga for our hosts.  I also found a recipe for empanadas.  

Once I have time, I will try my hand at following a Spanish recipe!



The VBS closing ceremony was next on our agenda!  Before the service started, kids were playing games in different areas.  I joined in a group that was being led by some teenagers.  I wasn't sure what the game was, but figured out that after they all said something, that everyone froze.  Then one person walked around and moved you into different poises that you had to maintain.  You won if you kept your poise.  There were two teens who were very mischievous and  every time they came to me, the put one of my arms to the side, bent me over, and put my other hand on my rear!  They thought it was very funny!  Let's just say when it was my turn, I got them back!!  This group also played something that looked like London Bridge is Falling Down.




The girls from the game


During the service, we did the VBS song again, but this time we couldn't see the projection on the wall at all!  We were lost!  The pastor must have noticed how bad we were struggling because he turned the computer around for us to be able to see the computer screen!  We were able to finish with a little of our dignity left!!

Senora Lucia reviewed the VBS lessons.

 There were two children who also quoted their Bible verses they had learned this week.  







After the service, we had a really long game time!!  Some of the games we played were Rojo, Verde (Red light, green light); Pato, Pato, Ganso (Duck, duck, goose); Freeze Tag (and you get unfrozen by someone crawling through you legs); and a game where a ball is rolled through the legs of line of kids and you are out if it hits you.  



Everyone got involved in Freeze Tag!





Red light, green light





















Duck, duck, goose







 After games was the meal!  There were hamburgers and fries for everyone (although I didn't want to eat since we were planning on going to a great restaurant that evening!)  The interesting thing about Macas hamburgers is that there is ham on them!  And always mayonnaise!  The people there like mayo on lots of things, including fries!


The many faces of the precious children in Macas!  Some liked to be very silly in pictures!  And they also liked writing their names in my notebook!




 







Amy and Abigail

Charlie and his grandmom


It was hard saying bye to all of the children at the church in Macas...especially since we would still be in town.  But we were getting ready to work with other children tomorrow...after a good dinner at the top of the mountain!






 We got to see the statue and take in the view from the top of the mountain!

We had a great dinner with Pastor Domingo and family and Luli.  It was a nice way to end our time at the Macas church, although we were still going to get to see them at the other VBS sites!






Mitzi and Xavier

My meal of ribs and yuka.  And the guayusa was really good there (and it is not my favorite drink)


Greg and Sarah

The oven where the meat was cooked





Our group after dinner



We ended our evening with family time (minus Tony who got sick in church that morning and had to stay home the rest of the day).  Tomorrow is a new day and a new bunch of kids!!



No comments:

Post a Comment