Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Back to Ecuador



Apparently I have not written on this blog since I wrote about my trip to Ecuador in 2018!  And now I have just returned from Ecuador again!  It was an awesome trip and I am now going to attempt to put my thoughts into words.

Seventeen of us began our trip to Ecuador at 5:00 at the Charleston airport.  Our plane left at 7ish and landed in Fort Lauderdale less than 2 hours later.  We had a super long layover, like about 9 hours, and since we had to uncheck all of our bags, we loaded them all in a hotel shuttle and headed to the hotel to rest and relax before our flight to Quito.


We could only bring one bag and  a carry-on, however, there were still a lot of bags!!

By the time we checked in, it was getting close to lunch and we were all hungry.  Several of us went to a Cuban Restaurant.  I got an authentic Cuban sandwich, even though me taking off the mayo made it not as authentic as it could be!


An interesting reptile in FL!



In addition to eating a Cuban sandwich, I also found a chocolate store that sold delicious caramels; and a good ice cream stand.  I think I was hungry that day!  After practicing our VBS song/choreograph movements outside of the hotel beside the street, we finally went back to the airport.  We went through security again (and Nathan was stopped a second time for the breadcrumbs in his carry-on; breadcrumbs to be used for eggplant parmesan in Macas!), and got on the plane for Quito!

Mitzi, Xavier, and Allen were excited to be on our way!


 We landed in Quite around 11:30 PM Macas time, loaded a bus with all of our luggage, and started the 8 hour drive to Macas.  Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep!  We arrrived at our final destination in time for breakfast!  We were staying with Raul's parents and they had been gracious enough to have breakfast waiting for us...after we were greeted with Bienvenido, hugs, and air kisses.  



The view of the volcano as we entered Macas!


We freshened up and headed to the church to prep for VBS.  We practiced our VBS song again and got our craft areas set up.



We also got the schedule for VBS.




Lunch was at the church, and at 2, the kids showed up!

The special moment of my day was when my young friend Abigail found me before the start of VBS!  We had met last year and she had given me jewelry and I had given her a Bible story book in Enlgish and Spanish.  I heard her Dad call my name, then she ran up to me and gave me a hug after calling my name.  I was also able to talk with her mom, via google translate, and get to know her better.  If I understood her correctly, she told me that they would read the Bible story book with Abigail at night.  And that she wanted to be friends on Facebook!

 
Abigail and her little sister


Greeting children and giving them name tags

Opening time at VBS

Puppet show



The first day went fairly smoothly.  We created a picture of what God created on each day and the kids enjoyed it.



Some of the older kids in craft time

 Between VBS and dinner at the church, Nathan, Alexia, and I went to buy the ingredients for Eggplant Parmesan.  We found all that we needed, minus eggplant, except for pasta sauce...I could only find tomato sauce!

After dinner, and by this time I was dragging, I went to another store with Marlene to get breakfast ingredients....and I found pasta sauce!!  ( I was planning on making Eggplant Parmesan for Raul's mom because she had it at my house and liked it!).

We prepped for our Friday craft...I think it was the Friday craft as I was kind of confused as to what day it was as I had not really slept since Wednesday morning at 4....and got to bed early.  I was in bed at 9:00!  It had been a long first day...or rather first two days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment