Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas decorations

This year has been a lot of fun with Camden being VERY excited about getting out the Christmas decorations!  And it has been fun for me to let him and Nathan do a lot of the decorating!  Our tree is full of memories with all of our ornaments, and since it is no longer a tree with everything matching, I figure why not let them put the ornaments on it!  I did have to move a few around since they tended to end up on the end of the branches which were starting to droop!

I also let them put out the Christmas village.  In the past I spent lots of time figuring out how to place all the houses and how to make the snow look like there were paths in my brick colored mat.  This year, the boys put out the houses all in a row, and I threw the snow on there like there was a blizzard!


One tradition with our tree decorations that continues to grow it that we buy an ornament to represent our trips.  This year I actually bought three!!

One from Appomattox,


 one from the Capitol,

and one I couldn't resist buying at Ford's Theater.   






The first ornament that started this tradition was bought in Mystic, CT on our honeymoon.

On our 20th anniversary trip we bought our ornament from Hilton Head...and I realized this week that it is another dolphin :)


So we have a tree full of memories and they are all placed in a jumbled, random order all over the tree by my two sons.  It is far from my matching tree we had on our first Christmas, but I wouldn't have it any other way!  

1 comment:

  1. I bought two ornaments this summer from our vacations. I can't believe I've never thought to buy an ornament before while we were on vacation!
    That's pretty funny your 1st & 20th are dolphins :)

    ReplyDelete