Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ready for another!!

It has been a day since I finished my second half marathon and I am still walking and even ready to do another!  It was actually more enjoyable than my first.  Maybe because I knew that I could finish and maybe because it was such a beautiful day to run.  Also, the Charleston Marathon committee did a great job with the set-up.  At the beginning, we were able to use real restrooms!  That is always nerve wracking for me; making sure I time my last potty break right so that I don't have to go again.  Yes, such details are important!  And if you were not fortunate enough to have your running partner's parents' car to sit in right beside the starting line, you could even wait inside Burke High School until ready to start. 

To me, there were enough people to make the race exciting, but not too many to make it miserable.  And this year the weather was perfect.  Not too cold and not too hot.  We began at Burke HS; made our way to the battery; ran down King Street; turned off somewhere onto Meeting St; ran through the old Navy base; through Riverfront Park; and finished near North Charleston HS.  All in all, there was a lot of awesome scenery and a few seedy areas to look at!  And lots of groups singing or playing drums, violins, etc.  A little party along the streets.  Plus one small hill!  Who knew there would be a hill in the route...good thing we have been training on the bridge!

Kelly and I started out at a slower than usual pace, but by the 3rd or 4th mile, we were at a 10 minute mile average pace.  We stayed together until about mile 7.  I slowed a little, then she sped up.  I tried to keep her in my sites, but that didn't last for long.  I was still on a 10 minute mile pace until around mile 10.  Going into Riverfront Park and mile 11, I was feeling good and had decided to try to speed up a little and get back to the 10 min/mile average.  I was doing good and passed the 11 mile sign when my left knee rebelled!  My right knee is usually the one that bothers me, so I wasn't happy about the other one hurting.  And of course my right one wasn't feeling the best either.  I kind of thought I might have to stop and walk; but instead I stopped, stretched, and kept on going.  Just not at the faster pace.  I had been thinking I was going to finish 4 minutes faster than my first half 4 years ago, but in the end, I only shaved 2 minutes off.  Two hours and 16 minutes and 31 seconds!  Actually I had only thought it was a minute when I finished (I forgot to stop my timer right away!), but my registered time showed 2 minutes.  I was sort of excited when I found that out.  I guess having a faster running partner helped me in the end!

That day Dave prescribed four Advil, along with my caramel pie, and my knees felt better.  Today, on Sunday, I only took two, and it was for my right knee only.  I thought that was progress!  So other than my bum knees, I am ready to do it again!  I just hope I get another PERFECT day for a run!

Oh, and I havn't received the pictures yet that Kelly's mom was taking.  I will have to post those in the future!

1 comment:

  1. that is awesome!! So glad you had a good race. Which one are you doing next? A Rock & Roll half would be fun :)

    ReplyDelete