Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Monday, January 14, 2013

13.1 for Tobi

This year I sold my van and with it went my 13.1 sticker.  Because of this, I decided I needed to run another half marathon to earn another sticker.  I have been training with a youth from my church and trying to keep up with a girl 20+ years younger than me has been a challenge!  We are scheduled to do our half this Saturday, and last week we decided to help with another challenge. 

There is a couple in our church who are adopting two children with Down's Syndrome from the Ukraine.  We are inviting anyone who would like to sponsor us to do so to help raise money to cover their expenses.  I think any child is important and needs a good home, but it is especially important to help children from other countries who have a disability.  In America they will be able to receive the education and therapy they need to reach their potential.  And with a good family, they will go far.

Nathan asked me one time (not in relation to this adoption) what Down's Syndrome was.  My first answer to him was that they are the most loving and sweet people you could ever meet.  Yes, there are other descriptions of what is involved with Down's, but above all, they are just awesome people!!  I can't wait to know two more!

I am putting a link to the Quiambo's blog dedicated to their adoption story.  If you feel led, I encourage you to read and possibly help them with adoption expenses by sponsoring us in our half.  We will each run 13.1 miles...and yes, we will both make it the whole way!  We have to!

http://openeyesandopenarms.blogspot.com/2013/01/big-news-all-around.html

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog, you are such an inspiration! Keep writing so I can keep enjoying them, lol.

    ReplyDelete