Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Apple picking time in NC!


Well since it is the day after Camden's birthday, I should be writing to him, but that will have to wait until after his party so I can put his pictures in! I will say that he wanted a red cake, so I bought a red velvet cake that was stale! He and Nathan enjoyed their piece and then I took it back and got my money back! How's that for saving money!



The weekend before his birthday, however, and 2 weekends after Nathan's, we took an overnight getaway to NC to pick apples-well at least to pick them out of the bins! We need to go earlier next year! But the apples were tasty and the apple cider donuts were to die for! Did I mention the apple cider was delicious!

We got to walk through the orchards and the boys had fun looking for good apples underneath the trees. They found a few! And the view from the top of the mountain was spectacular! We made it in time to see the fall leaves! Camden liked watching the goat and sheep eat pumpkins-he thought it was funny!







I love weekend getaways! My family did them when I was growing up and Dave and I used to do them when we were first married. We do them some now with the boys (like seeing Thomas!) and they are just a little bit of vacation in the midst of 2 weeks! This time Dave had taken a weekend trip to CA (not just a getaway at the cost of a plane ticket!) so I drove through Columbia, picked up my mom, and headed to the mountains! What fun!

After apple picking, we spent the night in Chimney Rock. It was an adventure finding new restaurants, finding a motel, exploring the waterfall behind the motel, and panning for gold! Nathan was interested in finding gems, but Camden just wanted to throw the gems down the trough! It was a quick, fun filled trip! Good memories!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you all had a great time! Wish we could have come along!

    ReplyDelete