Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

AWANA works!

I have the privilege of serving in my church at the AWANA Cubbies director (3 & 4 yr olds), and tonight was our last night and our awards night. I also have an 8 yr old in Sparks and a 2 yr old in Puggles. Tonight was a celebration, but at the end of our awards and thank yous to all the leaders and parents, our Pastor Joe gave a brief message and invitation. At first I thought no one would come, as sometimes happens at these type of events, but then a girl went forward and another child and then my child, and some parents with their child! It was amazing! I went with Nathan to pray after he talked to the Pastor and he told me he wanted to renew his heart. We prayed and then continued to watch as several children made decisions. I don't know at this point if these were salvation decisions or re dedications, but whatever they were, God was moving in the midst of these children! These children have been learning scripture all year long and are being able to put that scripture into practice. It was a wonderful site to behold! !

My 2 yr old at this point will be an AWANA kid for life! He is in Puggles a little early (the teacher moved up 3 children after they turned 2 who had not made the cutoff at the first of the year) and he gets so excited to go to Puggles and sing "God made me!" He also knows about Cubbies because he goes with me when I set up for it each week. Right now he is sleeping with a tiny Cubbie Bear that is the award for finishing the first book! He got it a little early, but his request for Cubbie was to precious to ignore!

My 8 yr old has just finished Sparks and earned his Sparkie award tonight! He and one other girl are 2 of my Cubbie graduates who have now finished Sparks (i.e., 2nd grade). It is so neat to see kids starting at 3 learning Bible verses and continuing to do so in elementary school

But the true excitement tonight was watching children open their hearts to God's calling! That is why we do what we do!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really Nathan went forward- I was praying with some of the other kids. I love Nathan. (Have I told you that before?) And you are the awesomest Cubbies director ever! Can't wait to watch Camden grow up in Awana.

    ReplyDelete