Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Mother's Hands

I have challenged myself to write about the topic of My Mother's Hands and at first I was perplexed. What can I say about her hands? How to describe her hands? I know that sometimes I look down at my hands and see how they are starting to look like my mom's and I think, "Oh, no, I am getting old!!" She bites her nails so her hands are not ones with manicured polished nails. And she wears a white gold wedding band set. That's how they look, but that is not very interesting.

But then I was watching her the other day playing with Camden. She was helping him with her hands and she was hugging him with her hands and she was walking with him while holding his hand! And I have seen her with Nathan using her hands to mend his clothes and hem his school uniform and clap loudly for him as he hits the ball in baseball. I have seen her hands diaper and powder and bathe all of her grandchildren with tender loving care. And use them to open up books and read to them.

Every time she comes to my house she uses her hands to fold my clothes and wash my dishes and get them really dirty when she works in the yard with me. She still will use her hands to encourage me and give me a boost when needed. And is always ready to make a dessert for me with her hands.

Of course she tries to use her hands to take pictures, and although the number of pictures on her camera show that she has success, her hands generally have trouble getting the camera to work! And heaven help her try to use her hands to get the pictures off the camera! But she has always used her hands to sew clothes for her girls and is now using them to learn to quilt! She also continues to use her hands to make special presents like seat cushions and unique pillow cases for her grandchildren.

I have also seen her use her hands to work with her kids in Sunday School. She uses her hands to help her tell a Bible story to them; to help them glue a picture on an activity; and to give them their much desired snack! She also uses her hands to drive some children home whose parents won't bring them to church.

Her hands have worked hard over the years being a mom and a wife and a volunteer and a worker. She has always used her hands in a tender and gentle way, and even though they are showing their years, they are a thing of beauty. Next time I look at my hands and think they are looking like my mom's, my next thought is going to be, "I can only hope that they do!"

Amy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, Your mom is a fabulous mother & grandmother! One thing that you do with your hands, that your mother doesn't do ~ you interpret for the deaf, sacrificially with your heart :) Thanks for doing that for us! Mary :)

    ReplyDelete