Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Friday, May 1, 2009

We are no longer turned off!


Last week we participated in the National Turn Off Week. It is interesting that to tell a person they can't do something makes them want to do it more! There are many regular days in which Nathan does not play the Wii or watch TV, but to say he can't do so for a week makes him very distressed! He kept trying to deal and say that he should only be restricted from one thing! And that he should be able to check his email like me-what email!! But we made it through the week unscathed! It really made for a quiet peaceful time, although we were so busy with everyday life stuff that we didn't really do extra family stuff instead of TV.

Dave and I stopped the TV (although I caught him watching the news one night!), but we did record 24 and continued to use the computer. I don't think I could give communicating with people for a week-and many were necessary emails!! I did give up writing on this blog, but since it took me until Friday to write this week, I don't know how hard that was for me!?!

Nathan stuck with it, even when his friends came over and wanted to play the Wii! He did get to cheat at his grandparents where they had on the NFL draft, though!

Camden, however, did not see the point! He kept trying to open the TV cabinet doors and learned to clearly say "Moe and the Big Exit". I almost gave in to his constant "Want to watch TV" mantra, but I persevered! As much as he says he wants to watch TV, you would think he watched it all the time! Maybe we should give it up more and he would not say it as much!

So that was our week without TV. I think we should make this an annual thing!

2 comments:

  1. I salute you! That's awesome you made it the whole week. I doubt we could make it a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy, we did the same thing; but we kept the computer going for needed emails & compromised to 1 or 2 shows/dvd movies instead. It helped us to catch up on needed stuff, that we dread to do!
    Congrats on the achievement, even for Camden! :)
    Yeah, I agree, we should do it more often! Mary

    ReplyDelete