Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Miercoles

Wednesday was our third and last day in the school.  I got to ride in the tortuga today.  We were passed by a garbage truck and could barely make it up the hill!

Breakfast at the hotel everyday consists of bread, cheese, butter, some sort of fruit, and some sort of fruit juice.  You get these yourself and then sit down at the table and are served a plate of some type of egg and meat.  And usually some plantain dish.  One day I need to develop a taste for plantains!

Today was our last day at the school and before lunch, we had two talks and play times.  We were able to do games outside, and thankfully the first morning session wasn't too sunny.  The second one, however, was very sunny!  My sunburnt places, especially my hands, felt like they were on fire!  I have never had a sun burn that felt like that!   






Nathan giving the drug devotion at the kickball station.











Nathan and Christian playing volleyball



During recess, the students liked to play volley ball over the soccer goal...with basketballs!  Ouch!

I was able to use technology to my advantage.  These girls were able to type Spanish into my phone and I could read it in English; and visa versa. This group of girls was interested in talking to me this way; and also interested into looking at the pictures on my phone of my family.  They especially enjoyed the snow picture...and looking at Nathan after I showed them his picture!  


Generally after we ate lunch, we rested inside, out of the sun.  This day, however, we got roped into a competition!  One of the English speaking missionaries (from Canada actually) came up to me and said that the Shuar women wanted to challenge some women to a race.  I was like, sure, I can run!  That sounds fun.  And won't take too long.  So we go over and talk to them about it and find out they want to challenge us to soccer!  I don't know how to play soccer!  After finally persuading two other girls to join in the game (which was hard to do because everyone was tired); and getting tennis shoes for the Shuar women to borrow; we had a three on three soccer match!



The three Shuar women had a Shuar man as their goalie. We had Brayden.  Natalie (kneeling) was in our group even though she lives in Ecuador, and our one real soccer player until Michelle had to sub for her.  She is Alexia's cousin (Raul's niece).  Brianna scored our one goal!  


Nathan playing soccer with the Shuar women






Allen playing the Shuar women 


Bobby playing soccer for the USA






We had a lot of fun, even though only one of the players actually knew how to play soccer.  The Shuar ladies had to tell our ref to tell us how to not play off sides!  But even though we didn't know what to do, and our only knowledgeable soccer player pulled a muscle and needed a sub, we won the game, 1-0!  After playing for 11 minutes, we scored and then stopped playing...we were exhausted!!

The Shuar ladies then played with some of the boys from our group.  They never scored though!   

A class of little kids who walked out to the field to play.  Too cute!

After our lunch and soccer game break, we only had one more group.  Then we were able to say good-bye to the students because they were in recess and outside.  It was cool to hear one of the girls tell me "Bye Amy."  Many of the students were telling us hi and good bye in English.  It was like me saying Hola and Adios over and over when that was all I knew how to say!

Nathan telling the boys good-bye






Jacob joining in the PE class!

Nathan and Martin.  A boy that learned Nathan's name too!




Nathan with the girls who talked to me each day,,,they all liked looking at my phone pictures, including pictures of Nathan!

It was a bittersweet day leaving the students we had had the opportunity to meet and work with them for three days.  Although we were tired from the work, it would have been nice to have more time with them!  Hopefully some of the students will come to the Shimpis church this Friday.



  




No comments:

Post a Comment