Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Martes

Tuesday we had another early start!  We ate breakfast at 6:30 and were picked up at 7 to go to the school.  One thing I have noticed is how many dogs are on the streets.  I heard that the dogs belong to people, but wander the streets during the day.  They seem used to cars in the street, as they would sit in the middle of the street and not move when cars drove by.  When walking, you have to watch out for dog poop!

We were driven to our destinations by several members of the church.  Depending on the car you were in, you may get there later than others!  One car was nicknamed "the tortuga".  It was a little slow! 

Today we had the middle and high school students.  Tony talked about drugs and Reilly gave his testimony about substance abuse.  The students listened; especially to a peer like Reilly.  Pastor Domingo talked about sex.  When we gave the devotions during the game rotations, the students were respectful and listened to us. 




The students wore their more casual uniform today.

Allen gave the drug devotion

We had a local Christian man who was able to help with his input.



A view of the mountains

The lady on the right side was from the Shimpis church.  She played soccer with the students too!


Our fearless leader was a little tired today!



At the soccer rotation today, the boys were kind and would pass me the ball so I could give it a very sad kick!  I did, however, get in the way one time and got hit in the face by a very hard kicked ball!  The boy who kicked it felt very bad, but I was okay after a few minutes. 

The school is for the Shuar people and today we had three languages going on...English, Spanish, and Shuar!  Just when I was kind of picking up on some words in Spanish!  

Today I was able to talk to some of the same girls I saw yesterday.  I showed them the pictures I had taken of them the day before and they enjoyed looking at them!  One of the girls gave me a rubber bracelet from her arm.  It was very sweet of her.  

I have done pretty good with sunscreen thus far...except for right above my sock line, behind my knees, and the tops of my hands!  I have never been sunburned on my hands before! 

Our food today consisted of mashed plantains and some beef and gravy for breakfast; potato soup, rice , meat and beans for lunch; and stir fry for dinner.  The stir fry was the most liked meal by the group thus far!   
 
Tomorrow is our last day at the school.  It has been two long days, but they have also gone very fast.  Even though it has been tiring, I wish we had more time here.

More drug and sex talk tomorrow! 

























No comments:

Post a Comment