Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Georgia Getaway Day Two







 Our trip to GA is completed as I am now in my own bed after leading two exhausted boys to their own beds without an argument!  We had an awesome day today!!  Nathan thanked me several times for taking them on this trip.  I gave them the no complaining ground rule today, and they followed it for the most part. 

We started out our day today (after leaving the hotel) by signing up for a bus tour in which you can get on and off the bus at any stop throughout the day.  This had not been our original plan, but after stopping for a map, I decided that a 6 year old walking all over town and me trying to park my huge car several places in the busy downtown was not a good combination.  After waiting for almost an hour to be able to get on the correct bus, I was beginning to think it was a bad idea, however.  As we were standing in line (this would be the part of the day in which complaining happened!),  I could hear the mom behind me saying the same things as me.  "It will get better when the bus gets here.  Don't complain.  We will have fun."  And we were right!!

We got to go to the riverfront and eat at Spanky's; get praline samples; honey samples; salt water taffy samples; and bought some candy and things.  I had always thought of Spanky's as a place to get pizza, so that is what Camden and I did.  However, they advertised that they were famous for their chicken fingers.  Well, the pizza was not as good as I remember, but the chicken fingers were awesome!!  The river front in Savannah is a really neat place.  It reminds me somewhat of Charleston, but there are steep steps that lead you from the downtown streets to the lower level of the old cotton exchanges that were right on the river.  Of course these old buildings are now full of inns, restaurants and stores.  Our favorite being the candy stores :) 

Paddle boat tours are another way to spend the day in Savannah


Amy and Camden at the intermediate level between downtown streets and the river walk.

My favorite landmark-The waving girl

Our lunch restaurant of choice
 
After exploring the river front, we went to the city market to taste cookies and see where Paula Deen's restaurant is located.  No Paula, but we did get to look in her store.  Hey ya'll was everywhere! 
The spoon artwork outside of Paula Deen's store

I found Nathan's least favorite singer!
 
Other stops on our tour included Forsyth Park with its beautiful fountain...



 
Hanging around at the park!



Guess who took this picture!
 
...a stop in a cathedral (Camden said it looked a lot different than our church and it must be very special.  Didn't get into theology differences between Catholics and Baptist, but have to agree with him in that it does look very different than our church)...
St. John the Baptist's Cathedral
 
...and a stop at what Food Network said is the 6th best ice cream joint in the nation!  Of course we had to stop there!  Don't know about the ranking, but do know that Leopold's chocolate milkshake was awesome.  Worth the 20 minute wait in line!



 
 






 
And I have to credit the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) for making downtown look great.  They are all throughout the downtown and they have been buying old building for their use, but restoring and preserving them so that they look original.  What a great way to grow your school.

Enjoying the bus ride!
 
So we had another fun day.  Long and exhausting, but full of memories!  We made our final one by eating at Carey Hilliard's.  I ate at Carey Hilliard's more times than I can count when my Grandad was living.  Since they are closed in Charleston, I never have the opportunity to go down that memory lane.  But we could do so in Savannah...got the onion rings, shrimp, and cheddar bake!  And Nathan got the crab stew.  All things I liked when I want there with my Grandad. 
 
What a great time...and I am stuffed!!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to visit another state!! Did you see the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" statue?

    Now when are ya'll coming to Minnesota?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...that is the state he is doing next :)

      Delete