Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cookies!!!

And pie!
 
I have started reading a new series of books that is set in a cookie store.  Since I started reading books on my Ipad, I have found different authors in the free section of Kindle and through the library.  Some have been good, some so-so, and others plain bad.  I have also noticed that there is a trend in books in which many are set in places like bakeries and diners.  And somehow, the owner of each place finds dead bodies!  Cookies and murder...what a great combination. 
 
 
The series of books about cookies is called the Hannah Swenson Mystery series by Joanne Fluke...with recipes!  They are fun books to read, sometimes predictable, but interesting.  At least the first few I have read.  The only bad thing is weight gain.  Not only do they have good cookie recipes in them, they also make me want to eat cookies as I am reading them.  And when reading them on my Ipad, all I have to do is take a picture of the recipe :)  
 
So far I have made really good peanut butter melts (the addition of  molasses was a good twist), good chicken noodle soup, okay cinnamon crisps, and a pretty lemon meringue pie (how it tastes is still TBD).  I am very interested in making the blueberry muffins and the praline cookies she wrote about!  There are also recipes for molasses cookies, lemon bars, black and whites, and butter-scotchies.  And I have only read 4 of the books!  I may be baking cookies for months to come!  I wanted to put my favorite recipes on my blog, but didn't want to break copyright rules. 
 
But if you are interested in any, you can find them in the following books:  Lemon Meringue Pie Murder has the pie, the cinnamon crisps, and the praline cookies; Blueberry Muffin Murder has the muffins and the PB melts; and Devil's Food Cake Murder has the chicken noodle soup.
 
So if you are a murder mystery buff and interested in reading some fun books, try this series.  Just don't blame me if you put on a few pounds...you can always run it off!
 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment