Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Monday, February 15, 2010

SNOW!!!!!



Well, I know our story will be like most everyone's in Charleston, but it is still fun to tell! WE HAD SNOW! Not just any snow, but real snow with depth and snowman-makableness (I think I just made up a word that may make no sense).

It started out with Nathan getting out of school an hour early. This didn't make much sense since it was only raining and we live in Charleston, so yeah right, we are going to get snow. But we got home and got ready for the snow that I still didn't think would happen. It was raining now, like usual, so I thought the best we could hope for would be ice.


Camden's first glimpse of snow!


Watch out for the snowball!

Snow in the hair!


The ice did come. I knew it first by hearing it. It reminded me of when we lived in Lynchburg and had several ice storms one year (which I actually miss because it made everything so glistening). But then I started to notice that in the outside light, the ice looked more like snow! We got excited and the boys and I ran outside and scraped the slushy snow off of any outdoor surface we could get to. I started the "snowball" fight with Nathan, who was very happy to throw back. I warned him not to hit Camden because he might not like it, but the next thing I know, Camden was in on the action!

After coming in, taking a warm bath, getting in jammies, and putting cookies in the oven, we decide to go back out again because the snow was really accumulating! More throwing snow and even making a little snowman! We got so involved in the snow that I burned the cookies! It was neat to see more and more snow cover our yard. I was beginning to believe that we would actually wake up the next morning to snow to play in.

Our first snowman!



And that happened! So of course we go outdoors first thing. Nathan, who never eats breakfast unless forced, was fine with that arrangement, but Camden always asks for breakfast first thing; so he was ready to come in. While he ate, Nathan made his snowman; a little squatty one. And when Camden finished eating, he had to make his own. More snowball fights; a walk around the block; complaints of cold hands; then inside to get ready for Upwards. How can one expect to play ball indoors when there is snow on the ground!








By the time we got home, most of our yard just looked wet-like usual-but I was very thankful for a little taste of snow beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment