Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Don't call me Shirley!

My name is Amy Shirley, but I often introduce myself only as Amy. It seems if I only tell people my name is Amy then they will not get confused and call me Shirley by mistake! When people do get mixed up, I want to say "Do I look old enough to be named Shirley?" I have an Aunt Shirley who is older than my parents and I don't know of any peers who are named Shirley! The other thing is every time I am asked my last name, I say Shirley and then the person usually says, "no, I need your last name." Like I don't know my last name! And when people look at my driver's license and see "Shirley, Amy Powell", they look really confused and don't know what to call me; "Shirley" or "Mrs. Powell." All of this because I am such a submissive wife that I took my husband's last name! But the worst was shortly after we got married. Dave and I had a mutual friend in college who knew me before I was even dating Dave and later was in our wedding. Not too long after we were married (after calling me Amy for 2+ years), he called me "Shirley!"

So that is the story of my last name! If I meet you in person and introduce myself as Amy, please don't call me Shirley :)

1 comment:

  1. You look young & def do not look like a shirley ~ Amy's a perfect name for you :) All the yrs I've known you, I never thought of the confusion with your name ~ learned something new about you :)

    ReplyDelete