Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fleischkuechle

We made fleischkuechle last night.  What is it you ask?  Basically dough wrapped around meat.  Deep fried dough that is.  Nathan had wanted this North Dakota delicacy, but I told him that I can't deep fry food very well because I do not have a deep fryer.  So I thought we could find a German restaurant that sold it.  Unfortunately, the closest restaurant I could find was in North Dakota!  So to the stove I went.  The first batch was not too bad, but the second was basically burnt dough wrapped around raw meat!  We threw those out...yuck!

I have again decided that I will not deep fry again unless I get a deep fryer.  Not only did I end up with oil all over my stove top and a thin layer on the kitchen floor that I need to mop for a second time, my house still smells like the fair! 
Nathan helping make the dough-meat balls.
I am glad we also had quiche for dinner!

4 comments:

  1. Nathan is going to be a great chef someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use a cast iron dutch oven to deep fry stuff. I do agree it's easier with an actual deep frier!

    Did you check out that German restaurant in Mt. Pleasant? Max & Moritz? We used to live around the corner from it but we never ate there :)

    You know, if you come visit us in MN - we can make a road trip to ND!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An iron skillet would be a better idea...and I couldn't find this item on the online menu at the Mt P Restaurant. I tried to get him to just eat German food, but that didn't work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all are such homeschoolers at heart!! I have a fry-baby that I never use if you ever need to borrow it. Tara

    ReplyDelete