Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Connecticut!


Mystic Motor Inn

Well, I found out a few things about CT that I didn't know during our "trip" to the state. It was fun learning about CT since Dave and I went there on our honeymoon. Mystic, CT was our destination and we got to stay at the Mystic Motor Inn; the same inn that Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall stayed at when they went on their honeymoon. (at least that is the story!). We ended up in Mystic through Dave listening to me and planning it all out! Yes, we were newlyweds! I had worked as a Day's Inn reservationist one summer during college, and between phone calls, I spent a lot of time looking at descriptions of the cities where the hotels were located. One that I found particularly interesting was Danbury, CT. I can't really remember why Danbury was fascinating, but Dave heard CT and found the quaint little village of Mystic as a destination for us. And yes, we did eat Mystic Pizza even though I had not seen the movie.

A view on the grounds of the Inn. Nice pants!

The Mystic Aquarium. We were so young looking! And we needed a new camera already!



But for Nathan's CT experience, we ate hamburgers (they were supposedly invented at Louie's in CT), apples (lots of orchards in CT), and CT chili on hot dogs (it reminds me of Christmas because of the cinnamon and nutmeg!). (This is the second state to have some special form of hot dogs and I really hope that it does not continue for 47 more!) We also found out that people from CT are called Nutmeggers. The Oak Tree on the CT quarter is famous because a man hid the CT constitution in it when the New England royal governor wanted to take control of their government. And in Devon, CT, it is illegal to walk backwards after sunset.

It was fun to "visit" CT; even relive our visit in '93 through pictures. But now Nathan has decided he wants to go to Yale! I think if that were to happen, we had better stop visiting any place ever again and save it all for the tuition!!

No comments:

Post a Comment