Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Delighting myself-part 2

Ok, I am still trying to give my desires to God, but do need to wrap my brain around the next point of delighting myself in the Lord. This point is:

"Beneath the desires of our heart is the heart of our desires"

This sounds easier typing it today than it did last Friday night. It took me a while to finally understand this, although I am not sure why. It is a very important point, but I have 2 sentences written in my notes about it!

But what I am getting out of this is a continuation of explaining vs 4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart"

I know what I want in life, but God knows how I am to get it. And God will give me the heart of (what needs to happen before I can get them) my desires; if those desires bring glory to Him. For example, I want my sons to be Christians. This is a God honoring desire, one that He wants also, but on the way to getting that desire (thank God one has accepted Christ already), I myself need to be the kind of mom that shows Christ to her kids. If I want them to be Christians, but never show them Christ, will I get my desire? Not as likely.

That is an easy example, but the only one I can really bring to the written page. Beth Moore's example was better in that she said her desire was for her husband to be involved in Bible study and on the way to that desire being granted, she herself became a more godly lady (very involved in Bible study!).

Maybe one ultimate point is that if our desire involves the change of other people, we must first be changed our self. I know that is very true of relationships, esp. marriage! I can't change Dave, but can change myself, and when that change happens, I either don't see as big a need for Dave to change or he starts to change, but not because of me. Marriage is so dynamic in terms of growing together, it is hard to see who is changing whom!

Well, my ramblings reveal that I haven't gotten this one figured out yet! But I will keep trying. To sum it up, God only gives us the heart of our desires (which may then lead to our desires) and God's goal in giving us our desires is to bring glory to Him.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment