Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Friday, June 19, 2009

My Father's Feet

Since it is Father's Day this weekend, I thought I would write about my Father's feet! I had challenged myself to accept a writing assignment I found in the paper about my Mother's hands, and I did this for Mother's Day. There was no topic about dad's in this article, so I figured I would come up with my own.

My dad's feet are very interesting and the topic of discussion and humor in our family. My dad is 6'1"ish and wears about a size 8.5-smaller than what you would expect for a man his height! They are also very wide; in fact, if he puts them together, they form somewhat of a square! When my sister was little, she had to have shoes with wedges in them and they had to come from Kassis Brothers in Charleston, SC. If you are not familiar with this store, they pride themselves in fitting any foot. They have forms of grotesque, huge, misshapen feet in their store to show what kind of feet they can fit. Well, when we were there one time for my sister, my dad decided to get a pair of shoes that fit for a change. One of the Mr. Kassis' came out to measure his foot, and left muttering an apology that he could not fit my dad's feet!!

So his feet are definitely something to write about! And even though it may be amazing that he can stand on his two feet, seeing how small they are in length, he does stand. And that is something I admire about my dad! He stands for what he believes in. Because of his beliefs, he uses his feet to take him to the fire station every month for teaching Sunday School. He also uses his feet to take him off to work to support his family. And he uses his feet to stand in the kitchen or out by the grill cooking up good food! And he uses his feet to play football with Nathan and his friends in the yard-this use is really taxing :)

Although I am glad I did not inherit my father's feet (sorry Jenn!), I am certainly glad he uses his to show love and support for his family! Thanks Dad, and happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

  1. That's really funny that Kassis Brothers couldn't fit your dad!

    ReplyDelete