Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Why

 


One of the signs I saw several times on the marathon course was remember The Why.   Why had I signed up to run this marathon?  Why have I determined to run in all states?  Why do I put myself through this training?  Thinking of this in the middle of the race was kind of like, well, good question!  I have a friend who always tells me that I can go on vacation without running!  So why do I keep planning vacations around running?!?  

In the end, when asking myself this question, I realized there are several whys.  One of which is because of this quote by Lori Culnane.  I have to admit, I don't know much about this person except she must have run a marathon.  And although I was not smart enough or soon enough to make this quote, it is truly something I have realized every time I have run one.  The training and the race itself have shown me how much I am determined and what I am willing to sacrifice.  Also, it has shown me how much I am willing to give.  Although I have given a lot of time and effort to running, I have also found that I am satisfied with finishing without pushing myself to run a super-fast time.  I'm not really sure if I could go much faster, but so far, I tend to become slow at the end of my long runs and races.  

But I have also found out that I don't give up.  I may not be the fastest, but I am a finisher.  Part of being a finisher is being consistent.  There are days when training doesn't happen as planned, but by being consistent with the overall plan, then I can be consistent with finishing a marathon.  

During the marathon itself, there is so much that you take in and learn and remember.  Seeing people older than me run right past me is humbling but makes me admire them.  Seeing people push others to the finish line makes me smile!  Knowing how hard it is to just run 26.2 miles, I know that running and pushing someone is even harder.  And then there are the hand cyclists.  That seems really hard!  Maybe because I have always run and not lifted, but it seems that moving a bike by pedaling with your arms is even harder.  

I think to answer the question of why though is multifaceted.  Why?  One reason is I said I would do it, so I do.  I set a goal and I finish it.  I like the idea of doing hard things.  It teaches me to rely on God and that He is the reason I can do these things.  It teaches me to be thankful for what abilities I have.  And in seeing others with seemingly equal or less abilities supersede me, it teaches me humility.  Also, I want to show my children what it means to not quit.  What it means to try to and accomplish hard things.  Life is hard.  You can't simply be in life if you want to succeed and be used in a significant way.  You will have to make sacrifices and work hard to achieve your goals.  Your goals need to be realistic...like for me not ever qualifying for the Boston Marathon...but high enough that it is a challenge...like running in all the states.  

Another why is because I have so much support from family and friends.  I can't quit when I have people texting me that to keep moving, I'm proud of you, great job, you are well under your needed pace, I'm praying for you, and your dad is looking down from heaven and smiling.  I have some of the biggest cheerleaders in my life and am so grateful for them.  Even if they aren't the why to why I sign up, they are part of the why of me not giving up and heading into that donut shop!   

Running this marathon and the 3 others also taught me why I really just want to run half marathons!  And that is my plan!  I hope it doesn't change!  But in the meantime, I am glad to be part of the 1% of Americans who are crazy enough to run a marathon!  And extra glad for my friends who have also gone the distance!      

And I really do enjoy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment