Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Possibly State 19...or maybe just DC!


On October 29 I ran the Marine Corps Marathon!  This was my fourth full marathon and one I signed up for in 2020.  2020 and 2021 were both virtual only, and 2022 was less than a year post back surgery, so 2023 was my year!  When I first started this journey of running a full or half marathon in every state, I signed up for the MCM to be my Virginia race.  About half of it is run in VA.  But there may be another VA race, Vacation Races Shenandoah Valley Race, that I really want to do.  So, this race may be my State 19, or it may be just DC!

Either way, I ran my 4th marathon and was glad I did it!  Any marathon is hard and this one had its share of hills...especially the last .2 miles of the race to the Iwo Jima Memorial!  

Race day was Sunday.  Saturday evening was spent eating pizza, getting my race day stuff together and meeting up with a group of FB ladies that were staying in my hotel.


It was also spent being evacuated from the hotel because someone pulled a fire alarm!  We had just walked into our room from dinner when it went off.  Immediately, we left the hotel via the stairs.  We were waiting outside when Camden mentioned he did smell smoke...fortunately it was just a man smoking a cigarette!  Of course, all I could think about was if there was a real fire, all my running stuff was upstairs!  But it wasn't a real fire, thank goodness!  






The next morning at 5:30, the ladies and I met up to walk to the shuttle bus.  Camden also got to start his day at 5:30.   


On the way to our shuttle, Camden went to the Metro to get to the Mall for the start of his 10K.  Since he was going on the trip with me, he decided that he would run a race too!  His race started at 7:50 and ran the last 6 miles of the marathon.  He ran it in 41:49 minutes at an average of 6:44 per mile.  








The marathon started at 7:55 with a little more fanfare than the 10K.  We had planes fly overhead and a live singing of the National Anthem.  In fact, it was an extra special national anthem for me.  I am 99% positive I know the singer!  The lady who sang the anthem was Sharon Williamson and she used to go to my church, Charleston Baptist.  She was introduced as a military wife and obviously someone who could sing.  This fit the description of the lady I knew from CBC.  I was so far back from the front that I could not see her, but she was another point of inspiration for me as I started the race!

Before the race started, we waited in a runner's village.  Lots of potties!  And it was not super cold as a place to wait.  





We walked to the starting line and had about a 45-minute wait.  I should have used the bathroom again but thought I would be fine.  After we heard the marine yell at us that "we were not authorized to quit", I started running and looking for the first port a potty!  







After finding the first potty, I was then running the hills of Rosslyn.  I had good time for myself, but those hills were rough!  It was nice to get out of them and run downhill into Georgetown.  I saw a donut shop that looked really good, but I didn't stop!  




Then we ran through Rock Creek Park.  The changing leaves were really pretty!  The course took an out and back into the park.  Going in was a gradual uphill but going out seemed flat.  Strange feeling when I really wanted to be running downhill!  



Then we headed into downtown DC by way of running past the Kennedy Center.  We also ran past a Marine band playing the Marine Hymn.  Another motivating part of the course.  



Then next long part of the course was through Hains Point.  Not much there except the Wear Blue Mile which had a line of signs of Marines who have died in action followed by a line of people holding American flags.  It was very moving.  




On the way out was another line of signs that were motivating in another way...mostly funny!  Like "This was a good idea 6 months ago", "Education is important, but running is importanter," and "Toenails are for losers".  Some were Burma Shave type signs that had song lyrics like "Don't Stop Believing."  But one of my favorites was an Eric Liddell quote.  Not that I was running very fast at that point!


After this park was the National Mall.  This was also right after the first gauntlet at mile 17.  You had to pass it by 12:55 and I got there around 11:40. I was feeling good about my time and the cushion to reach the other two gauntlets.  Then I got a text saying that the first gauntlet was now being closed at 12:00 due to humidity.  The temps were only in the 70s, but the humidity was in the 80% range.  Many people were getting sick, and one man had to be airlifted out.  I didn't feel the effects of the weather since I am used to this kind of humidity, but I maybe I would not have slowed down if it had been less humid!  

The next part of the race was the mile and a half bridge into Crystal City.  It was long and sunny and boring, but once over it, I was in the last 5 miles of the race in Crystal City.  There were people cheering us on even though I was getting slower as I was getting tired. 





Couple goals!  Maybe Dave will do a marathon with me when we are older!

I was still getting encouraging texts from Dave, my mom and my friends.  Also, Camden was sending them...especially texts that said to hurry and run faster!  Paybacks for all the times I yell at him when he is running!  While finishing up mile 26, Camden was able to see me from the side of the road.  He started filming me and then I dropped my air Pods trying to put them away.  It was very hard to stop and bend over and pick them up!  Great video!

Then there was the last hill.  It was the last .2 miles of the race, but my watch said I had already run 26.2 miles!  It was hard to make it up the hill.  I tried running, and although I was running, it was barely!  But I did make it!  Right up to the Marine that gave me my medal in front of the Iwo Jima monument.  It was a great ending to almost 6 hours of running.  








  







No comments:

Post a Comment