Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Because Kids Matter to God!

Tonight was AWANA awards night at our church.  It was a special night for me because of Nathan finishing up his AWANA career.  I tried to mention that right before my Cubbies started, but instead I started crying. So here is what I wanted to say.

I have been working in Cubbies for 9 years now as the Director.  It can sometimes be a hard job, well, more tiring than hard, but definitely rewarding.  When I started in Cubbies, Nathan was in his first official year.  His friend was also in his first official year.  (They both went to Cubbies for 3 yrs instead of 2)  Tonight they both received their Timothy Award.  Although this is not the highest award in AWANA, it is the highest for our church's program.  So this is the first year for me to see a child that started out in the beginning of Cubbies go all the way through.  And one of these children belongs to me :)

Nathan and his friend happy to have earned their Timothy Award


Here are my Cubbies singing our favorite butterfly song.  "If I were a butterfly, I'd thank you Lord for giving me wings...."  I love being a Cubbie leader.  One of my favorite titles has been Mrs. Amy, but this year I also got the title of Cubbie Bear!  And I am also the best friend of one of my little Cubbies :)  It is fun.  Although I have to admit, I am glad for the summer break!


This was Camden's first year in Sparks and he did great!  I was so impressed with how hard he tried and how well he memorized his verses.  He finished his book and his review book.  One leader that listened to his verses a lot asked him how he knew all his verses.  He said they were in his head!  But I am really proud of him inviting two of his friends to Sparks.  Although both friends are from Christian homes, they still are learning more of God's word by coming to AWANA.
Camden with his leader and his friend

Nathan got to give his testimony tonight

Nathan with the other 2 6th graders.  At our church you can choose between youth group and AWANA.  I am glad he had two good friends that also stayed in T&T.

Tonight was also extra special because we had a child baptized at the end of the service.  She got saved last year in AWANA, and this year got baptized.  It was awesome!!  Yes, kids matter to God!




I am so proud of both of our book finishers!!  Although they learned their verses to earn an award, the verses will stick with them long after their trophies are collecting dust in the attic.  And that is why I do what I do every Wednesday night!






2 comments:

  1. Oh Amy! So sweet! Thanks for all you do and for starting our boys out on their first real Cubbie adventures. I also am very grateful that Nathan chose to "stay the course" this year and be there as a friend for Reilly. What a special night for so many reasons, indeed! Enjoy the summer break!! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Nathan! That is so awesome that he kept on going :) I bet Camden will be right there with him in 6 more years.

    And thank you for being cubby director for 9 years. Enjoy your summer "break"!

    ReplyDelete