Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Montana

Nathan and I have been slowing down in our virtual trip through the US.  He is growing up, and although he is interested in different states, he is getting busy with his own life.  And homework is increasing.  7th grade has been tough so far. 

But we are trying to keep it up, even if slow.  Montana was our latest state.  We ended it with a meal of pan fried trout and Indian Fry Bread.  We also ended it with a week at home that was a gully washer!  Montana speak for a very heavy rainstorm!

Although I forgot to take pictures, I thought I would share the Indian Fry Bread recipe.  It is very easy, and although I didn't think it was the best (very dense), Dave and Nathan really liked it.  So here it is for when they ask me to make it again.

6 cups flour
3 Tbsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2.5 cups water

Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.  Slowly add the water and knead with fingers until dough is soft, but not sticky.  Add more water if necessary.  Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan and spread dough inside.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Eat the bread hot with a dash of butter or jelly.

I only make half of the recipe and it seemed to fill up my 9 x 9 pan and was thick.  I also brushed melted butter on top.  Be careful though and not leave the leftovers out on your counter; even in a sealed Ziploc bag.  Your black lab still may find it and eat it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment