Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Monday, October 10, 2011

The dunking booth

I had the chance to do something I have always wanted to do this past weekend. I got to sit in a dunking booth! I had volunteered to work at a fair for Lowcountry Orphan Relief. This is an organization that collects goods to give out to orphans and children in foster care. At the fair, I signed up for various booths like the jumpcastle, bobbing for apples and popcorn. But the dunking booth looked too enticing. As I was walking by, I commented that I wanted to sit in the booth. The cold guy sitting in the booth took me up on my offer! I climbed into the booth hot due to the pounding sun, but once I came out of the water the first time, I really felt the cool breeze!

It was a lot of fun, although a little scary not knowing when you might fall. I also was concerned about my contacts which are semi-hard and not meant for wearing in the water. But I and my contacts survived. I even was able to meet a really nice teenage girl. I was taunting her that she couldn't hit the target and I was wrong! She dunked me several times! And had a lot of fun doing it. When I worked the apple bobbing booth afterwards, she came over to tease me. She was very nice and even showed me the proper way to bob for an apple! But what really impressed me was how she helped her little brother also get an apple.

It was a very fun day and I was glad I was able to volunteer. A great way to spend a Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment