Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How to make a long trip longer!

Just add snow!

I live in Charleston, SC and I do not see snow much. I grew up seeing snow a few times a year, most years, but have lived here for 15+ years so I am in snow withdrawal. So the day after Christmas, when snow was forecasted in Charleston, I hit the road with Nathan and Camden to make the long 12 hour drive to Memphis.

We were about 30 minutes out of Charleston when the snow started! We stopped at the first rest stop we could in order to see the flurries because I thought that would be the best we could see.



But then the snow kept coming! It was great! So we stopped again...






and again...




and we even stopped on the side of the road to make snow angels. The snow was not a problem for the roads, but the trees on the sides of the roads kept getting prettier with leftover snow from the previous day.





And then I noticed the signs for Spartanburg!! I am not supposed to go to Spartanburg! I am supposed to take 20 from Columbia. I was so distracted by the snow that I totally drove past my exit without thinking. I knew how to get to Atlanta from there, but I had added 1.5 hours to the trip! But we saw snow!! And lots of it! The trip was long, but the snow made it fun. On the way home we made it in 12 hours, but with the rain, it seemed longer. I would take the snow any day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment