Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Family Time

I love having family time, mainly because I love my family!! I grew up with a family that valued time together and we are trying in our family to do the same. But last weekend I received a rare treat that makes me value my family even more. I had the whole weekend to myself! Dave and Nathan went on a father-son retreat and Camden got to spend the weekend at my parents. I spent the weekend scrapbooking, watching sappy movies while scrapbooking, and ordering take-out. Who knew you could order Outback cheese fries online, pull into their parking lot, and they will bring it out to your car without you getting out! It was lovely!

I had some nice me time, and just about the time I started missing my boys, they returned. Dave and Nathan got home first, then Nathan and I drove to meet my parents and retrieve Camden. We decided to meet at the Francis Beidler Forest since I had a pass to get in for free for all of us. After exploring the swamp, we inquired about a restaurant nearby where we could get supper together before heading home. Seeing that we were in Harleyville, the choices were slim. The restaurant they recommended was actually in a gas station right by 95. Although the food was decent, it was still a gas station. Dad went up to pay and I told him that he wasn't paying for ours, to which my mom replied "Happy Birthday. In case we don't see you again before your birthday, this is your birthday dinner." Yeah!

Our family has many such memories. Growing up we were sometimes "forced" to have family time. Especially when we were in high school and didn't always want to hang out with our parents. My dad at that time owned a ServiceMaster business and would often have contracts that involved cleaning businesses after hours. One family night involved all of us cleaning a church together. That may be a fun memory now, but at the time we, my sister and I, were not too excited. That was a little like a birthday dinner at a gas station! But my parents did not disappoint and came down the next Sunday to go on a birthday lunch at Carabba's. Much better atmosphere! And another good family memory!

2 comments:

  1. What a great 40th birthday dinner - at a gas station HAHAHA!!!

    And as much as you and Becky talk about cheese fries I'm going to have to get me some :)

    ReplyDelete