Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Our blue kitchen!


We seem to always be in the middle of a project at our house, and this time it turned out to be bigger than planned. Several months ago (well during the summer sometime!), I got so tired of the wallpaper in my kitchen I started peeling it off the wall behind my sink. This was actually motivated by the ants that seemed to be finding a way into my kitchen from behind my sink. I figured if we caulked real good, they couldn't get in and if I am caulking, why not take wallpaper off just on the wall behind my sink and just paint that wall. I stopped this in order to help with the finishing touches on our bathroom. Then when I got back to the project, I decided to go ahead and take the wallpaper off the entire kitchen and paint the whole thing. (We have grand plans to replace cabinets, but have to wait for that)


Well this went well (especially since my friend Becky came over to help pull it all down), until I pulled the paper off of the wall under my bay window that had apparently leaked in the past. Black, mildew, holes, yuck! This was about 2 weeks before Camden's birthday party which was to be at our house! The only thing I wanted was for the black walls to be removed. The rest would look like a project in process.


This happened and by Thankssgiving the wall was replaced. Then came the dreaded drywall work! Dave HATES to drywall! But he did it, right in the middle of Christmas decorating weekend! Needless to say, I did not do much decorating near the kitchen or else it would have been covered in a layer of drywall dust. That stuff goes everywhere! But Dave finished his dreaded work and then the fun of picking a color was upon us. I had tacked color swatches to the walls to help us get an idea of what to paint. I wanted blue to begin with, but Dave was adament about not having a baby blue kitchen. Also, we had to have it coordinate with our tan and rust red living room. Why doesn's blue go with red and tan I kept asking. And finally, he realized that a greyish blue was not baby blue and he could live with that!




Yeah! I have my blue kitchen! (Well only half so far!) Now what to with those cabinets...

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very nice!! Hate you had to replace the wall under the window though. Thank heavens you have a handyman for a husband :)

    ReplyDelete