Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Live Free or Die....New Hampshire. State 21!


Running in New Hampshire in March was a great idea!  It was a gamble and could have been extremely cold or snowing or postponed, but it turned out great!

Sunday morning, March 3, 2024, was race day.  We had arrived in Hampton Beach Saturday afternoon for packet pickup at Ashford by the Sea.  Our hotel, the Hampton House, was very close and a good option for walking to the race in the morning.  


 Race day was a lazy relaxing morning since the race did not begins until 10:00.  It had rained the day and night before; however, it was all clear Sunday morning.  I thought it would be nice to sleep in and then run, but by 9, I wished I could have started the race.  

But I still did not leave the hotel until 9:30 and was very grateful I did not have to stand in line for the bathrooms at the start of the race!




  






Having mom with me meant that I had lots of pictures taken!


The race was sold out at 975 runners for the half.  There were more people who were running the 5K.

One thing that I still don't seem to get right is what to wear.  Although in my mind I knew I wouldn't be too cold since the temps were to be in the high 40s, but since it was damp feeling, I felt cold.  So, I wore my long sleeve compression shirt under a long sleeve shirt.  The same outfit that kept me from freezing during the Charleston half.  But by mile 1, I was overheated.  I planned on taking my compression shirt off and throwing it into our hotel lobby when I ran by it, but then I saw mom.  So, I stopped by her and started stripping.  It was quite the process since the shirt I wanted off was the bottom layer!  After taking off my hydration vest, my long-sleeved shirt, then my hat, I was able to take off the compression shirt.  I don't usually strip down to my sports bra, but desperate times!!  Mom was holding my stuff in addition to another man we didn't know holding my hat while I dressed again and kept running!

Some beach views





The race ran by the beach for about 3 more miles before it turned off into a neighborhood.  The neighborhood part of the race showed off their houses, however, it also had some very small hills...they just seemed huge by mile 8!  Who knew a beach race would have hills!  

The huge hill in the Hampton Beach neighborhood!

But I survived the hills and made it back to the beach for the last 3 miles.  The beach was starting to get busy with people walking on the sidewalk and on the beach.  Some people were simply enjoying sitting at the beach.  And one person was starting to surf.  Their beach had areas of sand, but also areas of rocks.  And they had signs to not feed the seals.  Unfortunately, we didn't see any seals!



Mom was at the finish cheering me on!




Overall, it was a nice race and one that I am glad to have done.  It wasn't my favorite thing to have cars driving beside me in the neighborhood, however, it did not spoil the race for me.  I will note that since this is my 4th race since October, my legs are starting to feel it and slowing me down.  So, no great time, but I still had a good time!   

    










Very cool bling!

Me and my biggest cheerleader!

State 21 in the books!!!  It was a fun state to visit, even in the cold!  And extra special to have mom be able to come with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment