Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Delaware makes state 14


Rehoboth Beach Marathon and Half Marathon








On December 3, I was able to run in Delaware at the Rehohoth Beach Half Marathon.  It was a great course, and the organizers did a good job in putting the race on.  It was drizzly rainy, but not too cold.  And it did not start to rain hard until I had finished, so that was good for me!  This race also had a marathon option, so the time limit was 7 hours.  Fortunately, I didn't need that long!  I finished in 2 hrs and 40 minutes.  Miles 2-6 were the hardest for me as my foot kept going numb.  But after mile 6, my foot felt fine, and I was able to run without needing to stop and stretch my foot.  I also met a girl named Bridgette who ran with me for about 2 miles.  She had to stop and potty around mile 10 and that is where we parted ways.


The course started out near the boardwalk.

Beautiful sunrise!







The nativity scene at the bandstand


Dolles had really good saltwater taffy!





We ran through town and back to the boardwalk.  We were able to run the entire length of the boardwalk with a view of the beach!  It was really pretty.



Then we went through a very nice neighborhood and out between some fields.  On this part of the run, they had flags from all the states hanging above the course.  It was really cool!  After running through a park, we finished in downtown Rehoboth Beach near the running store that sponsored the race.  





At the finish, they had a nice buffet of breakfast and lunch foods available and indoor bathrooms!  This is always a plus.  In fact, I didn't have to use a porta-potty the entire trip!!  

All in all, it was a good race and Camden and I had a very nice weekend.  Some highlights include stopping at Buccee's in Florence.




Another highlight included driving over and through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  






Right before we got to Maryland, we stopped at a VA rest area.  Everyone knows Virginia is for lovers!



We decided to take a quick detour to Assateague National Seashore to see the wild horses.  









The grey and white squirrels




We finally arrived in Rehoboth Beach in time for packet pickup which included my new Goodr glasses!  We shopped downtown and at the outlets and had Grotto's pizza for dinner.  



After the race Saturday morning, we did more shopping and eating in downtown.  Lunch was at Dogfish Head and although it was a cool building, it wasn't the best meal of the trip.


  




Saturday afternoon we also drove and walked around Cape Henlopen State Park.  It was formerly an army post used to protect our shores in WWII.











We were able to walk to the top of an old Army observation tower.  We could see a lighthouse and another observation tower from the tower we climbed.



The modern lighthouse



Deer were grazing in the park

We walked a little way down the pier, but it was cold and windy!


Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse


That night we had the best dinner of the trip at a place called Woody's.  They are known for their crabcakes, and they were incredibly good!

We found some Christmas lights before heading back to the hotel for bed.  It had been a fun few days, but we were both tired and knew we had a long drive home on Sunday.    







To say I am incredible grateful to be able to run again is an understatement.  This race was 5 days before my year surgery anniversary.  I am thankful for God giving the surgeon the steady hands and ability to fix my back.  And I am thankful for the recovery He has given me.  I can be stubborn with my goals, but I still know to whom I owe my health and recovery.

Next race is Oklahoma!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment