Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Sunday, July 23, 2017

A break in the Grammie Camp story...literally!

You know that saying about it's all fun until somebody gets hurt?  Well, it's all fun until somebody breaks a rib!  Yes, we had a broken rib at GC, and thankfully it was not a camper, but me.



So how did this happen?  This picture of me and Jenn coming down sliding rock was taken the first time we came down.  We pretty much came down the same way the second time, but with a little collision.  I heard her behind me yelling, "Sorry!  I'm going to hit you!"  Or maybe it was "Hehe, payback for all those times you fell asleep after I gave you a back massage and you were supposed to give me one!"  Either way, she collided with me as we came off the rock.  I did not remember feeling pain.  I just remember going under the water and concentrating on getting out because it was so cold!!!

I did start feeling pain in my side during dinner; within an hour.  I just thought I was shivering so much that I had a stitch in my side.  Or maybe I pulled a muscle.  I am not as young as I used to be!!  By the time I was getting ready for bed that night, however, I was thinking not a pulled muscle, but a bruise.  It was even a little red where it hurt.

But we had Carowinds the next day!  No signs indicated that people with bruised sides or bruised ribs or even broken ribs should not ride the rides!  And I really thought it would start to feel better soon. But as the day went on, I was having trouble pulling the restraints down, getting out of the seats, running after the kids, coughing and taking deep breaths.  And I spent lots of time holding myself still on the rides.  

We are still friends! 

The rides were hard to get out of!

I remember this picture being taken right when I was jostled!


I will admit, it was painful.  Sharp pains that were actually some of the worst I have ever experienced.  So the next day I decided I needed to go to the doctor.  I went to Lexington Urgent Care and have to give them a big shout out for how well they treated me.  Very knowledgeable and professional.

So they x-rayed me and found that I had a fractured rib.  No more rides for me for a while!  No gym, no running, no knee boarding, and no taking heavy wet towels out of the washing machine!  The dr said no for 4 weeks.  It has been 2 weeks now and I can feel that the pain is dull and not sharp; so it must be healing.  And I am down to taking just Advil two times a day. No more heavy meds, which is good since apparently I am a little goofy when on them!  The whole thing has made me feel old!  Especially when I am walking around the block instead of running.  And also I feel like I am making excuses when people ask me to help them lift stuff.  I need a sign around me saying "cracked rib...can't help!"

But in two weeks, I hope that I will be able to start running around the block again and working out with my friends.  And next year at Grammie Camp, I am only going down Sliding Rock one time and behind Jennifer!!








1 comment: