Life with the Shirley Family

Life with the Shirley Family

Friday, October 9, 2026

Newport is an awesome town!

 


After visiting Newport, I understand why the wealthy wanted their summer cottages there!  It is a beautiful town and I definitely want to go back.  We took a bus tour of the town, so we got to see the outside of all the gilded mansions and tour the Breakers.  



There was a boat show the weekend we were there








Not a guilded mansion, but the summer home Jacqueline Kennedy came to.  She was known as a Newport socialite and she and JFK got married in Newport.




After our bus tour, we decided to get lunch at Jay Leno's favorite hot dog joint and it did not disappoint!  We figured hot dogs were cheaper than lobster rolls and we could save money for our lobster dinner.




Then we did some shopping!  Jenn and I got sweatshirts and mom got a t-shirt.  I also found a glass store and bought a blown glass ball with a wave design on the side.  And of course I found a soap store!





We also walked into the International Tennis Museum.  They used to have big tennis tournaments there and people can still sign up to play on their courts.









I think you have to wear white when you play here

Another thing on our bucket list was the cliff walk.  This is a 3ish mile walk along the water and in front of the gilded mansions.  We didn't walk the whole way, but the part we walked had some pretty views even if you could not see the mansions.











It was a littel windy!


The back fence of Rosecliff















We ended the night with our last meal of the trip at a restaurant called the Mooring.  Our tour bus driver said he was never disappointed there.  We all decided to get lobster and it was a fun meal.  I will admit, though, that the lobster at the more casual restaurant with paper plates in New Hampshire was better.  








I would give Newport a 10 out of 10 for a town to visit in September.  Just the right amount of people and the most gorgeous weather!  We could not have asked for a more perfect day!



We ended our night at our convenient motel with a cute towel elephant.  




The next day was get to the airport and wait for our flights.  Because we were in New England, we had to get Dunkin Donuts in the airport!



And when we were in the Philadelphia airport, we had to get Geno's cheesesteaks!  Wit the wiz!



 

 We had had a great trip.  Good food and good times together.  So thankful to have had this time with my mom and sister.  Now to plan for our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment